Fitness After 50 Guidelines
Fitness After 50 is an indoor walking program. A $10 annual fee made payable to Physical Medicine at Phoebe Northwest is required to be a Fitness After 50 member. All walkers will also need to get a walking pass at the front desk at Phoebe Northwest before utilizing the track.
Guidelines for Walking
- Prior to beginning a walking program, contact your physician for his/her approval and any special instructions. Always follow your doctor's advice!
- Dress appropriately. Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes. Avoid heavy clothing. Use layers that can be adjusted for your comfort.
- Heavy handbags slow you down and interfere with your body's natural rhythm. You may want to wear a fanny pack.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes that support your feet well. Rubber-soled shoes with tread are best. Wear shoes that fit properly. Shoes that slip or slide may cause blisters. Cushioned socks will also help protect your feet. Shoes with black soles will not be allowed on the walking track.
- Walk at a pace that works for you. Start slowly with a short distance. Gradually increase your distance and pace.
- If you feel dizzy, hot, sick or have any pain above the waist, stop walking and seek immediate help from your walking partner or a Phoebe Northwest employee.
- Be sure to carry necessary identification and medication when you walk. Let those with you know what to do in the event of an emergency.
- Always replenish fluids.
- Please sign in when you arrive and sign out upon leaving, listing the number of laps completed when you leave.
The purpose of warming up is to prepare your body for exercise and help prevent muscle pulls, strains or soreness. Follow these warm-up exercises:
- Begin by walking at a slow pace for three to five minutes.
- Leg stretch (stretches ankles and calves)
- Standing an arm's length from the wall - place hands on wall. Move the right foot back, with both feet pointed straight ahead.
- Move the left knee and hips toward the wall.
- Slowly stretch the back heel down toward and slightly bend the back knee.
- Hold stretch for 15-20 seconds.
- Recover. Reverse legs. Repeat. Do this stretch twice on each leg. Never bounce because this can tear muscles and tendons.
- Arm circles (arms, shoulders, and upper body)
- Swing arms in small circles 5 times forward and 5 times backwards.
- Repeat with medium circles.
- Repeat with large circles.
- Thigh stretch (front of upper leg)
- Raise right leg bent at knee toward the back.
- Standing up straight, grasp right ankle with right hand. Gently stretch leg to the back and hold for 20 seconds. Repeat several times with alternating legs.
- Foot Massage
- Start with heel down and toes off ground. Roll foot so that toes are down and heel is off grounds. Then roll back to heel.
Phoebe Golden Key is not an insurance plan or Medicare supplement. To receive the benefits a Phoebe Golden Key membership provides, you must be 50 or over. For questions about Golden Key or membership information, call 229-312-2418. We are currently staffed by volunteers, so if you do not reach us please leave a message with your day time telephone number, and we will return your call as soon as possible.